THDC India Limited is a Joint Venture of Govt. of India and Govt. of Uttar Pradesh. The Equity is shared in the ratio of 75:25 between GoI and GoUP. The Company was incorporated in July’ 88 to develop, operate & maintain the 2400 MW Tehri Hydro Power Complex and other hydro projects. The Company has an authorised share capital of Rs. 4000 cr. THDCIL is a Mini Ratna Category-I and Schedule ‘A’ CPSE.
The initial mandate of THDCIL was to develop, operate and maintain the 2400 MW Tehri Hydro Power Complex (comprising of 1000 MW Tehri Dam & HPP, 1000 MW Tehri Pumped Storage Project & 400 MW Koteshwar HEP) and other Hydro Projects.
Total installed capacity of THDCIL presently is 1513 MW. THDCIL has two Hydro generating stations, namely; Tehri HPP (4X250 MW) and Koteshwar HEP (4X100 MW) and two operational Wind Power Plants in Gujarat, one at Patan (25X2 MW) and another at Devbhumi Dwarka (30X2.1 MW).
The Memorandum and Articles of Association of the Company has been modified to reflect the current business reality of projects outside Bhagirathi valley. The object clause has been amended to incorporate development of Conventional/ Non-conventional/ Renewable sources of Energy and River Valley Projects.
The Corporation has grown into a multi-Project Organization, with Projects spread over various States as well as neighboring country, Bhutan.
THDCIL presently has a portfolio of 13 projects totaling to an installed capacity of 5539 MW under various stages of implementation / development.
The 1000 MW Tehri HPP was commissioned by THDCIL in 2006-07. The Tehri HPP (1000 MW) is a multipurpose project, providing electricity to the Northern Region, Irrigation benefits to Uttar Pradesh, and Drinking Water to NCT of Delhi and Uttar Pradesh. Due to regulated releases from the Tehri storage reservoir, the existing downstream hydro projects of the State are also benefited by way of augmentation in generation at no additional cost to them.
The 400 MW Koteshwar HEP, downstream of Tehri was commissioned in 2011-12. The 1000 MW Tehri Pumped Storage Plant, which is under construction, would utilize the Tehri and Koteshwar reservoirs as the upper and lower reservoir.
In addition to the 2400 MW Tehri Hydro Complex, THDCIL is implementing the 444 MW Vishnugad Pipalkoti Hydro Electric Project (VPHEP) on the river Alaknanda in Uttarakhand. THDCIL is also implementing 24 MW Dhukwan Small Hydro Project on the Betwa river in Uttar Pradesh. In addition, there are various hydro projects of THDCIL under Survey & Investigation / DPR preparation.
THDCIL is consistently profit making company since commissioning of Tehri Dam & HPP in the year 2006-07.
Government of UP has allotted Khurja Super Thermal Power Project (2X660 MW) in Bulandshahar Distt. to THDCIL for implementation. Govt.of India has accorded investment approval for Khurja STPP for Rs.11100 Cr. and Amelia Coal Mine for Rs.1590 Cr. On 7th March, 2019. Hon’ble Prime Minister has laid foundation stone of the project on 9th March,2019.
Towards diversification of the company into Renewable Energy areas, THDCIL has commissioned 50 MW Wind Power Plant at Distt. Patan, Gujarat in June’16 and 63 MW Wind Power Plant at Devbhumi Dwarka, Gujarat in Mar’17. THDCIL has signed MoU with Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) for setting up Grid Connected Solar Power Projects up to 250 MW capacity in a phased manner. THDCIL has also signed a tripartite agreement with SECI and Kerala State Electricity Board for development of 50 MW Solar project in Distt. Kasargod, Kerala.
Under India-Bhutan Co-operation in hydro Sector development, THDCIL is involved in implementation of Bunakha HEP (180 MW) as a Joint Venture Project. The Company has also updated DPR of Sankosh HEP (2585 MW) in Bhutan as a consultancy assignment.
- Tehri Dam has been conferred the Prestigious award of “International Milestone Project” of International Commission of Large Dam (ICOLD) in Oct.’2009 at China, considering the uniqueness of its design and construction features.
- Koteshwar HEP has been conferred the “PMI India Best Project Award” of the year in long term duration (More than 3 years) category in 2011-12.
- Koteshwar HEP has won the prestigious “5th CIDC Vishwakarma Award-2013”.
- Koteshwar project adjudged winner in Category “Best Construction Project” among more than 70 submissions from all sectors under this category.
- THDCIL has been conferred the “Power Line Award” in the category of 'Best Performing Generation Company (in Hydro Sector)’ in May,2012.
- THDCIL has been conferred “SCOPE Meritorious Award for Corporate Social Responsibility and Responsiveness” in April,2012.
- THDCIL has been conferred with the Gold Trophy Citation under prestigious “SCOPE Award for Excellence” for outstanding contribution to the Public Sector Management for the year 2013-14 in the Institutional Category II (Mini Ratna I & II PSEs).
- Tehri HPP (1000 MW) has been awarded with Award of “Best Maintained Project” by Central Board of Irrigation and Power (CBIP) on 29th Dec., 2016.
- THDCIL has been conferred with prestigious “HR Gold Award for Training Excellence in 2018-19” from Ek Kaam Desh Ke Naam, a renowned NGO.
- THDCIL has received “CSR Innovation and Leadership Award 2019” by PHD Chamber of Commerce, New Delhi.
- “CBIP Award 2019” was also presented to THDCIL for Best Performing Utility in Hydro Power Sector.
ISO Certification :
THDCIL has obtained following ISO Certification –
- ISO 9001:2015 Certification (Quality Management System).
- ISO 14001-2015 Certification (Environment Management System).
- ISO 18001:2007 Certification (Occupational Health and Safety Management System for Corporate Office, Rishikesh, Tehri HPP, Tehri PSP, Koteshwar HEP, Vishnugad Pipalkoti HEP and Dhukwan SHP.
Updated on : 05/08/2019